Edward Wong is a Finance Technologist professional who is currently working for QuantDesk, which incorporates quantitative AI-bots that will automate high-frequency trades (HFT) and in the past, he was involved as an Application Architect playing an important role in the delivery of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. We will unpack all of that and more during the course of our discussion with him. Edward has worked in Silicon Valley, Hong Kong and is now managing a team of developers in Saigon, Vietnam. Today on the podcast we want to talk to him about Cyrptos, AIs and all the trending technology topics and also about what it is like leading and managing teams across Hong Kong, Silicon Valley and Vietnam. So first of all, let me welcome Edward to the Pinpoint Asia podcast.
- Briefly talk about your background
- What got you interested in IT?
- Between 2006 and 2013 you worked for IBM and you played the role of an Application Architect and were involved in the delivery of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please talk about that project. What’s an Application Architect?
- You worked as a Treasury Architect for the Fed reserve bank around 2013. Can you talk about that experience? What is it like working for the US government?
- They say governments are slow to adapt to change – did you find that this was the case?
- Why did you choose to return to Hong Kong and why the interest in Finance Technology?
- You were the Co-founder of the Shanghai Commodity and Futures Exchange. Talk to us about that.
- What did you attempt to do with Crytpos? Why the interest there?
- What is a bot? And, what is the difference between bot and AI Bot?
- What does architecting a crypto trading platform mean? What is a crypto trading platform?
- How did the idea of development in Vietnam come about?
- What is it like working in Vietnam? How did you find the developers and what was it like communicating with them?
- Why did they choose Vietnam as the dev center and not China?
Future of Technology in Finance:
- What’s your view on cybercrime? Do you think it will become a bigger problem with thieves becoming smarter than cops?
- If you could invest in one great FinTech idea and pour most of your investment money into it, which one would it be?
Advice for aspiring technologists:
- Is there anything different that computer science students need to do now to prepare for the FinTech world ahead of them?
- If there’s any advice you can pass on to your 20-year-old self, what would it be?
- Is there anything else you’d like to say that I haven’t asked you yet